The California Lemon Law (Civ. Code, § 1793.2 et seq.) protects you when your vehicle is defective and cannot be repaired after a “reasonable” number of attempts. The California Lemon Law applies to most new vehicles purchased or leased in California that are still under a manufacturer’s new vehicle warranty.
An estimate of 150,000-200,000 (1%-2%) new cars each year are considered a “lemon”. It is important to have all documents preserved for the vehicle and speak with a California lemon law attorney to discuss your claim.
This article will give you a comprehensive guide about California Lemon Law.
Understanding The Lemon Law
The California lemon law covers the following new and used vehicles that come with the manufacturer’s new vehicle warranty:
– Cars, pickup trucks, vans, and SUVs
– Dealer-owned vehicles and demonstrators
– Many vehicles purchased or leased primarily for business use
– Vehicles purchased or leased for personal, family, or household purposes
What Qualifies as California Lemon Law?
There is no set number as to the “reasonable” number of attempts to repair the defect. However, California’s Lemon Law presumption contains these guidelines for determining when a “reasonable” number of repair attempts have been made:
– The manufacturer or dealer hasn’t fixed the same problem after four or more attempts.
– Your vehicle’s problems could cause death or serious bodily injury if it is driven, and the manufacturer or dealer has made at least two unsuccessful repair attempts.
– The vehicle has been in the shop (dealer) for more than 30 days (not necessarily in a row) for repair of any problems covered by its warranty.
FYI – Used Car No Warranty:
If you purchased a used vehicle with no warranty, then California lemon law will not apply. The California lemon law applies to disputes involving the manufacture’s new vehicle warranty.
How Long Does The Process OF Lemon Law Take?
The lemon law cases’ time varies in each situation. Clients can quickly get compensation when they have all the evidence and proof. But if they have some documents or proof missing, then it might take time.
In most of the cases, the average time of the cases is 3-4 months. It can be shorter or longer depending on the situation of the case.
Hire BNG Legal Group
BNG Legal Group is known as the best California Lemon Law firm. We have worked with many clients in many situations to give the consumers their rightful compensation and service for the vehicles.